Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:33:29 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Size is AC Belt?
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@netreach.net>

This is where it pays to keep my "ready-reference" of Factory and Dealer Parts Fiche handy for questions just like this.

Reference: VW/Audi (Fort Worth) Parts Fiche dated 1988:

Illustration 17, Vanagon 80-85 w/Dealer Air (Factory AC was not standardized until the 1984 model year).

Belt - Crank Pulley to Idler Pulley (If equipped) VW Part Number 255 272 916 12.5 (Now 13) x1150mm Note: Superseded to 025 260 849/A/B, same size Note 2: This belt is also used on 84-91 Factory Air configurations with the Crankshaft driving the Compressor directly.

Belt - Idler Pulley (If equipped) to AC Clutch/Pulley VW Part Number 255 272 911 (No Size is shown in fiche, dang it) VW obsoleted this belt April, 2000, according to ETKA 7

Idler Pulley Assemblies shown in fiche appear to be mostly for the 80-83 Air Cooled Models, so I imagine the 025 260 849/A/B Belt is driven direct from the Crankshaft to the Compressor, at least from what I've seen on late 83 Wassers, very similar to the 84-later Factory configurations. Myself, I've never seen this Idler Pulley configuraion on a Wasser, but I have on a few Air Cooled models.

The 13x1150 belt should be available at most any flaps. Use the VW reference numbers and sizing above so that a *good* parts counterperson can look up a possible interchange. Most Gates, Goodyear, Dayco, etc., books have this feature in the back with crossovers. I know because I have used them in the past when I worked on the counter a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ;-) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM, B Feddish <bfeddish@netreach.net> wrote: