Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:21:29 +0000
From:         "John C..." <Trvlr2001@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Canvas install question - 3'' too tall? Trip Report:o)

Trip Report:

First, I got to say; It would probably be a whole lot easier to install the top edge canvas with the poptop removed. A two or three person job. Worth it? I dunno.... I think probably yes,,, but then, I'm a glutten fer....

So;

Tip #1: Make sure you have a back yard like Bryan's to work in !!! Nice !!! (is that Canada?)

#2: Is the old top garbage? One word for ya .... box cutter !!! Sadly, a dip shi* can bring a whole plane down with one of them.... Cut that old sucker out! Show no Mercy !!! Let the Kool Air in (remember Kools? :o) ya roll em up in yer Tshirt sleeve & act tough! ya right :o)

#3: Don't remove the bolts that hold the spring bar on the top or the bottom.... Just remove the little round cir clips; (on the bottom) use a tiny screw driver behind them (1ea. side), apply a little outward pressure, while picking the lock tabs (close to the pin) with a scribe, towards the outward end of the pin. The clips will pop right off! & you can just push them back on, & lock the tabs with the scribe. Then, Just pull the Pin out, lift the pole 3 or 4 inches & pull new canvas under it..

#4: I've been looking all over for a "Little" right angle battery electric screw driver. ( Yeah, like yours Bob !! :o) Short of that, I use my 3/8th air wrench with a #1 phillips head on it. A 1/4" wrench would probably be t*ts ;o) It Zips those pesky little buggers in n out very urgently ;o) (code:o)

#5: Start at the Front. Lead all of the mistakes towards the rear, where they wont show.( well maybe a 6 inch rip will (sorry dude ;o) !!!) Hold the two top, then bottom corners together. Mark the (all 4) center; top & bottom with a pencil. Work the top center then top corners. Make the corners look good! Don't put a screw in (corners)till they do. This is where it can look bad! Then mark & screw, rear top center, then rear top corners. Then you can fill in between the corners & the center screw. Sides are pretty easy.

#6: Bout time for a home Brewsky isn't it? We'll get a fresh start on wrapping up the new install in the cool of the morning :o) best John C... PS: And as always Mr. Phelps .....

-------------- Original message -------------- From: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>