Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:00:37 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WVO Conversion for an '82 Diesel Westy
Comments: To: Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@syr.edu>,
          Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>
Comments: cc: Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Excellent ideas to chew on. You're way ahead of me.

On 6/27/08, Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@syr.edu> wrote: > > Neil, > > My thoughts for our Diesel campers (dad's & mine) > Is to use the potable water tank for WVO and leave the stock tank alone > and set for diesel. > A few of the reasonings. > Capacity difference is 3gals +/- so though it's something it's not > substantial.. If potable tank was ~5gal then that'd be a problem > The potable tank though has no way to easily modify to add heat, here's > my solution.. > Fab a small 1~2gal lower tank that connects to the potable 1.25" drain > hose. > The small tank would have heated lines in&out, and fuel supply > Return would go back into the top and over course maintain tank flow > temperatures > But not heat the whole tank so as to have a HUGE heatsource after you > are shut off. > As well as a 110vt engine block heater "WVO jumpstart heater" fitting so > you could plug it in > > There is a LARGE clean out opening on the top.. And can install a Marine > fuel level float into that.. > Would have to add a 2nd dash fuel gauge, but would also have temp > sensors for the Fuel supply output temp. > > All the while making NO PERMAMENT changes to the stock westy aside from > rendering the water tank to rendering fuel capacity. Which could always > be changed back in the future for you or a different owner. > > And for a small heated WVO tank even if you can't fabricate it yourself, > shouldn't be a lot from your local fabricators.. Make a plywood mockup > of what size,shape,fittings to simplify the fabricators job and save you > both time/money. > > ________________________________________________________________________ > _________________________________ > From: Neil2 <> > Subject: WVO Conversion for an '82 Diesel Westy > > Hey volks, > > Stock Nazis can GA and hit Delete. I'm considering WVO (for long term > fuel > cost reduction) and later a TD or TDI conversion (for power increases). > Any > thoughts? > > I like the idea of using the factory tank for WVO and the potable water > tank > for the bio/petro for startups. The big ? is how to find a replacment > water > tank that'll both fit under the sink and include a lower hose nipple > just > like the factory tank. GoWesty seems to have a sink drain kit that Any > thoughts? > > My rationale on potable water: Can't understand why someone would > design > the tank so far from the sink. Don't use enough pwater to justify 13g. > Don't need much bio/petro storage and the pwater tank is in just the > right > spot! > > Open to constructive criticism. > > -- > Neil2 > '82 Diesel Westy (Duckie) >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westy (Duckie)