Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:05:04 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: '91 Vanagon GL, AC is OOC

----------------- > Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 05:12:48 -0700 > From: Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Re: '91 Vanagon GL, AC is OOC > > Hey volks, > > Again, the banter is entertaining but: Anyone know if the AC on a '91 is > worth tinkering with/spending $$ to repair? > Neil,

Depends on how much you want/need A/C. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my A/C on my '86 Westy (not the same as your '91, but similar), after converting to R134A. I'm replacing ALL the hoses, drier, expansion valve, and putting in a new parallel flow condenser (supposed to be 30% more efficient, and my van had the older style 2-part condenser, not the larger solid one you have on the '91), and already installed a new R134A compressor. The whole enchilada, without compressor, will run about $375 for parts. I have 6 hours labor so far in pulling everything out, and will probably another 6-8 putting it back together, just to give you an idea.

My original system, with R-12, was marginal at best, and with R-134A it was pitiful (hence the condenser upgrade), but I generally only use it on trips or when it gets over 110°F (which as been about 15 of the last 20 days here in Phoenix). A couple hours in the sun right now and the internal van temperature gets to about 150°+ (the Dometic fan used to kick on - without the fridge on - to the point that I installed a switch to turn it off so the battery didn't run down). If you live somewhere a bit cooler, your stock system will probably be OK, but you can plan on about 10°F Higher vent temps if you convert to R-134A. And you really should change to barrier hoses, as your old ones will leak sooner or later with R-134A.

I'll be putting my system back together next week, and I can let you know what kind of improvement the new condenser makes if you're interested.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)