Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:31:22 -0700
From:         Steven P Smith <kewsps@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CA Smog Failed - 1985 1.9L
Comments: To: Walter Houle <whoule@ecscontrols.com>

Walter, If your injectors are 23 years old they could be a fire hazard. Many Vanagons have been been lost to fire from old injectors and old fuel lines. Many on this board would strongly urge you to change all fuel lines 1st thing and I would agree. I believe this is the place I got my cat from. You might give him a call. I'm sure the group of Vanagon online vendors can help you out though. They are all very knowledgable and helpful.http://europarts-sd.com/ I'm still suspicious of your low CO number though. .04 should be closer to .1 or .2. I believe this can burn out a cat, because they get too hot. You might try running some Techron Fuel Injector cleaner through your fuel system to clean the injectors as little. http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-System-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E I was recommended to me and did help, but in the end I was still running too lean, and the plugs showed it. I replaced the injectors with rebuilds from GoWesty and now my plugs are a nice toasty brown, and my mileage is 18 in town and +20 on the highway. I don't know where you are located, but you might need a Vanagon specific shop to get your engine set up properly. Here in Sacramento, we are lucky to have Stephens Auto Haus. You might give him a call.http://stephansautohaus.com/ Steven