Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:47:06 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Chin Spoiler from Home Depot Racing shop..

This afternoon I installed an inexpensive aerodynamic "chin-spoiler" or front air dam to my 84. Took under one hour. It looks like it came that way from Germany (almost). I had some garden edging PVC extrusion left over from my racecar..had to buy the whole roll, I recall, but it was cheap. I was cleaning out the shop and almost tossed it, then I decided to see how difficult it would be to stick something on the van to help direct air around rather than underneath. So, this stuff is about 4", black, almost a perfect match for the other black plastic crap on the bumper, etc. It comes with a flange you're supposed to bury in your garden to contain the Beauty Bark, with the other edge having a nice tubular detail, about 1" diameter molded into the stuff. I cut off the anchor flange (you can use a pocket knife even) and cut two slots, one for the spare tire release and one for a tow hook I have on my right frame member. Below and behind the bumper there's a perfect body flange (welded joint). I used just 6 pop rivets and attached the air dam to that after drilling some appropriate holes. Almost done right there, and it looks great. I used a disc sander to shape the ends, just under the bumper ends, to a pleasing shape that sort of goes with the lines of the van. The ends were/are a little floppy and I figured they might fold under at speed, so .....for now, I found a piece of aluminum stock I had kicking around and just shoved it through the bottom tubular detail to give the ends of the dam some support..The shape of the mounting flange (so kindly provided by Fritz and Franz when they stuck the body together) gives the airdam plenty of rigidity (except the ends) but if it should get snagged on a stump or something, it'd probably spring out and back with no harm. They work like that on a race car anyhow. I will probably find another or refine my bottom 'batten' to exactly match the curve of the dam to the curve of the bumper..if I bother. It's so close now you'd never notice. Now, theory says this should help fuel economy. Front air dams come on most newer vehicles for that purpose. So, for 1/2 hours work and maybe $4 worth of material, it can't hurt. And it does not look hokey or added on, it looks right. I could send P-mail pics out unless there's a way to post em to the Vanagon list...somewhere.. Don Hanson