Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:00:03 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: I learned alot about my brakes today....
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

If you brakes pump up good an tight, then you slowly lose the pedal - that is a classic symptom of internal leakage in the master cylinder. Time for a new one.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

craig cowan wrote: > Well i recently failed inspection in PA based on my brakes, dispite my > recent restoration of all mechanical systems.... > Well i had the brakes working just spectacularly 1000 miles ago when i > finished my work..... but now they don't. > The mechanic who failed it tells me the pedal is too low and it needs to be > pumped a few times to get up. So once someone tells me this, it becomes > apparent that my brakes are infact terrible. Well yesterday i bled the > brakes and it seemed to give the pedal a bit more of a consistent feel, but > the pedal is still low and fades a bit. So i popped off the drums and > adjusted them accordingly. I managed to "OVER ADJUST" The passangers side > one....as on my test drive it pulsed....alot. This tells me that there is an > additional problem somewhere in the system.... probably a worn drum. When i > adjusted the passangers side back a bit, (With fixed the pulsing) I get a > low pedal that if i pump, goes up.....but fades over distances. > > Master cylinder? > > (I have new rear cylinders, newer front rotors, pads, and rear shoes) > > -Craig > '85GL > > >