Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:29:11 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electric motors in each wheel, was Re: Hybrid technologies
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

I've seen a prototype using this technology. I was in the 9th grade and Penn State University's team of engineers came to demonstrate future technologies to the science classes at my highschool (this was.....5 years ago now). I was in an entry level biology class and when the question and answer time came along...... i was the only one with questions (and many, many questions!) I pretty much ripped through all the flaws with the prototype vehicles they had there (including a hydrogen vehicle storing Hydrogen at something like 100+PSI in a tank under the drivers seat.....), and it was then that i met the teachers of our highschool's physics department (which later recruited me to actually teach them what i knew of the emerging technologies so they could pass it on to thier respective classes. This was cutting edge stuff, and i had done the research....). Well back to the no vanagon content electric hubs at the wheels.... They had a ford explorer that had been outfitted with this technolgy. It was a 'hybrid', with a V8 none the less (they didn't claim it to be efficient, just 'a hybrid') With the car up on the lift i distinctly remember seeing the way they'd done it. The front wheels used CV drive shafts attached to both ends of a specially built double ended electric motor (imagine an electric equivalent of the front differential on a syncro). The rear wheels however were attached to big motors about the size and shape of a brake drum, placed exactly where a brake drum would have been (But there were no brakes. It relied upon a few principals of electric motors to work as brakes and inefficient regenerative braking by producing electricity when using the motor's resistance to brake the vehicle). It would make setting up the brakes a real headache for a prototype (especially the front wheels. They would ALWAYS brake exactly the same since they were fed of the same motor. I would have done this with two counter-rotating electric motors mounted centrally as they did, attached to drive shafts as they did, but two motors rather than one. (And i would have loved to see the design of that screwy motor....) The engine ran a huge generator and wasn't attached to any transmission at all. The generator was in the place the transmission would have been, and was BIG. Run directly off the engine's flywheel.

This would all be adaptable to a syncro using drive motors from a washing machine (with a planetary gear arrangement added to them), the generator off a......generator, attached to a DIESEL engine (small. maybe 1liter or less 3 cylinder), and some minor machining of new hubs. No change to the suspension (just pop out the rear brakes and make a new hub that has no provisions for brakes but mounts the motors. Remove the front differential and put your counter-rotating washing machine motors there.....your LiIon battery packs under the rear seat, the 'regular' battery for the diesel in the engine bay, and some solar panels on the roof (solar panels optional). All you need is a couple of washing machines, a diesel tractor/parts, a common generator, a home machine shop and knowledge of how to use it, scrap metal, and...... Plenty of spare time and $10,000 worth of batteries that don't exist (YET!).

Though if you provide me with a syncro, i will provide a "proof of concept" prototype that works only well enough to not work at all (how long do you think an electric car will drive on a COSTCO brand Group 41 battery?) : ) I'll keep the syncro when we're done : )

Long story i know, but it ended up with vanagon content (and started out with porsche/early volkswagen content). So where's my syncro?

-Craig '85GL