Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:31:28 -0400
From:         Aileen Boyd <aileen.boyd@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      88' Vanagon healed!

I just wanted to give a word of thanks for all the help, parts and words of advice that so many of you gave re: my 88' van and it's rich-running habit. Soooooo many parts put into it, diagnosis and learning for me and I believe it is on its way. I wanted to also echo the sentiments of how sad it is that Vanagon's are going to scrap rather than homes. I can completely understand the frustration that many feel in attempting to get them in running order, should you not have the time, money or know-how. I have some of those, but finding a trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic in certain areas is tantamount to interviewing surgeons for heart surgery. I went to 3 different people with my Vanagon, all of whom I had a conversation with beforehand regarding their experience with Vanagons. 2 told me after a period of one month and 2 weeks respectively, to get my van and leave. They could not figure out how to work with it. The third is a god in my eyes. He, and another person at his shop have experience with many VWs including up to this decade (he knew not to mess with THE screw!). They basically performed all the things that I knew I could not do myself (i.e. Timing, adjustments, electrical analysis...get that damn fused bolt off..etc.) He was shocked to know that 2 other mechanics claimed to have adjusted the timing, or just didn't even go there!!! How is that possible??? I came to have to find someone when my 84 year old German-born mechanic developed cancer for the second time and is having to focus on his health. He is a legend in my area with all cars, including VWs. Also, thanks to those of you who insisted I change out the fuel lines. The pic of the van on fire was even after I did so, and holy moley was I glad I did it. We are hopefully taking a trip, leaving on the 5th from NY, to Southern UT, Salt Lake City, Spokane, WA and back via a stopover at Yellowstone. If any of you may be in these areas or on the route, hey, drop me a line. We may need your expertise!! Not to mention would be great to meet some of you and your Vanagons.

Aileen 88' Westfalia Simone -- If not Peace, then Justice.....