Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:36:09 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine cover, History
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

I have the same stuff in both of my '88 GL's.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

craig cowan wrote: > "in regard to fire protection, if a fire and heat retardent mat is placed > between the metal cover and the bed cushion, you should at least have enough > time to grab the fire extinguisher and hope for the best." > > Didn't VW outfit some vans with a section of sound deadening mat that went > over the engine bay/under the cushion? Either that or the previous owner of > my van did a miraculous job making it look stock... > I have what is essentially a piece of carpet (that matches the interior), > cut to shape with rolled edges and some sort of thick fiber matting on the > bottom. It makes a BIG difference in the sound that comes through the rear > area. > This wasn't VW's doing? > > -Craig > '85GL > > > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> Interesting, Bob said his '87 wouldn't take the steel cover. My '81.5 has >> a >> rubber seal so perhaps it *will* fit an '86. >> >> I installed fiberglass cloth so now have: metal tension >> rods/fiberglass/plastic sheeting/fiber matting of unknown composite. >> >> On 7/3/08, Budd Premack <bpremack@comcast.net> wrote: >> >>> My understanding is that, in addition to the diesel vans, the 80-83 air >>> cooled vans also had metal engine covers. I have switched metal covers >>> from the 80-83 vans with the plastic ones on my 86 Syncro, 88 Wolfsburg, >>> and >>> 91 GL and they are all interchangeable. >>> >>> In regard to fire protection, if a fire and heat retardent mat is placed >>> between the metal cover and the bed cushion, you should at least have >>> enough >>> time to grab the fire extinguisher and hope for the best. >>> >>> Budd Premack >>> 91 GL, 85 L >>> Land of Sky-Blue Waters >>> >>> >> >> -- >> Neil2 >> '82 Diesel Westy (Duckie) >> >> > > >