Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:14:06 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: PN question ("step down" hose from pump to filter)
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@gmail.com>

Thanks much Jim. That's a thorough explanation.

The price at VM Autohaus didn't seem bad for the molded hose, but good to know there's a FLAPS solution too.

I figured since I already had the metal filter "in hand", and that I had gone to so much trouble putting the Jetta engine into my Westy, I'd try to make sure it had as much of a chance as possible of surviving.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@gmail.com> wrote: > If memory serves, the metal cannister filter, such as the 0450 905 030 is > designed to be used AFTER the pump. The pump used on the Vanagon (as well > as 75-79 Bugs & Buses) has a large opening on the "tank" side (ie: the > inlet) and a smaller outlet (8mm) on the pressure side towards the engine. > The 0450 905 030 has 8mm push-on fittings fore and aft, so no adaptor should > be needed. > > However....certain models of Vanagons from 80-thru the mid/latter 80s (as > well as the only filter on 75-79 Bugs & Buses) also used the square plastic > filter (133 133 511) as a "prefilter" and some Non California Air > Cooled models didn't even have the above cannister filter. This filter has > an 8mm inlet fitting to match the hose coming from the tank and the larger > outlet to match the larger inlet at the fuel pump. VW, with some sort of > wisdom (or lack thereof,) discontinued using the "prefilter" and substituted > that with an obscenely priced adaptor fitting (your indicated 251 201 534 A) > in it's place. These are essentially 1/2" to 1/4" reducers and can be > sourced at most FLAPS or even the hardware store in some cases for just but > a fraction of what VW would want to ding you for and I recommend metal > instead of plastic. If you do use plastic, make sure it's fuel resistant so > that it doesn't melt on ya. > > On both of my 84s, I continue to use the square plastic filter and the metal > cannister filter as they were originally equipped that way to keep the > foreign matter out of the fuel pump. It's my understanding that later > production and replacement fuel pumps comes with a screen in the inlet, thus > negating the need for the plastic filter, but I still use one anyway. I > change it out every other oil change (they're cheap) for preventative > maintenance reasons. > > And yes, I would recommend using both for maximum protection. > > In ETKA Vanagon, select Illustration 28-00, Key #18 in the middle portion of > the diagram and you will see what I'm talking about in regards to the > reducer/adaptor. > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > *********************************** > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:52 AM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi all. >> >> Not sure if this is an "improvement" but..... >> >> In searching for a way to use a Bosch metal "can" type fuel filter on >> my '81 Westy (PN: 0 450 905 030) my parts guy found a piece of molded >> fuel hose to serve as a "step down" for transition from the larger >> fuel pump OD to this (and possibly better??) fuel filter >> >> Molded hose PN: 251 201 534 A >> >> ETKA showed dimensions of 12.5 mm and 8 mm. >> >> Has anyone used this in conjunction with the larger metal "can" type >> fuel filters? >> >> I have the metal filter already. Is this type of filter any better >> than the stock square Vanagon filter? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/