Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 2008 09:29:47 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Confirmation on front wheel bearings adjustment
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Those are good tips Jake. Didn't know about the wheel spinning thing. Makes sense.

I too recall the screwdriver technique. (from other vehicles)

Another job I'll need to look into soon!

Neil.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey Ben, sounds like you did okay. I do up the wheel bearing nut a little > tighter than that, all tightening being done WITH THE WHEEL SPINNING!! > Keeps a person from flat-spotting the bearings/denting the races. > > It takes a screwdriver to pry that washer, in my scheme. > > Being old-fashioned, I have drilled my nuts and use cotter pins to keep them > exactly where I want them. > > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Hi All, >> >> putting up a couple of posts, but separating by subject so others can >> hopefully find the info easier. I put in my front wheel bearings last night >> and wanted confirmation on the adjustment for these (the description in the >> manual is a bit ambiguous) >> >> Here's what I did: >> Tightened the nut on all the way to seat the outer bearing against race, >> then backed off until I could just slightly slide the thrust washer back and >> forth (took quite a bit of finger pressure to move it). >> >> Is this correct? I obviously don't want to have them too loose or too >> tight. >> >> Inner bearings are now well packed and have a new grease seal - outer ones >> were also packed well and I put on a new thrust washer and peen nut, just to >> preemptively avoid any questions on the subject. >> >> Cheers, >> Ben >> >> _________________________________________________________________ >> Enter the Zune-A-Day Giveaway for your chance to win — day after day after >> day >> >> http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V1 >> > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > Crescent Beach, BC > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/