Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:58:24 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic, Installing in a non-camper
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Well put. One thing I would add is that even "modern" 3way fridges are complicated to retrofit to a Vanagon due to their combustion venting requirements. The stock Westy fridge has a slick flue snorkel setup that safely exhausts combustion gases and supplies new air entirely from outside. I don't know where to get a new substitute fridge with such an arrangement. The common RV type 3 way fridge jobs are meant to be installed in a sealed cabinet that has significant venting to the outside with a lower outside grill for intake and an upper outside grill for exhaust. They have their combustion gases released into the upper space behind the fridge and thus need to be installed into a cabinet sealed from the vehicle interior. Since our outside walls are mostly glass in the upper half the choices are reduced to small units in low mounting position with the back against the sidewall. Using electric only models opens up much more mounting flexibility as well as simpler and safer installation.

Modern compressor AC/DC fridges are very energy efficient and fairly quiet. Some even have front venting and thus can be installed into a simple cabinet with no rear or side vents needed. The small amount of ventilation they need comes in below the door and exits above the door. With no combustion involved only a small amount of heat is released into the interior of the vehicle.

Mark

pickle vanagon wrote: > Neil, > I feel like I have to ask: have you considered installing a different > fridge? My 182 works great and I love it, but it seems like so many people > have problems with them. Also, installation requires that the fridge as a > perfectly fitted enclosure that snugly holds it in the level position. > (Notice, the dom can't just sit flat on the floor. It needs to be held off > the floor by suitable supports). It would be possible to build something, > but probably most feasible to do so with the westy cabinets in front of your > for measurement purposes. > > There are other more "modern" fridges---even 3-way fridges---that I'm sure > lots of westy owners would love to install in their vans, and the only > reason they don't is because they aren't a perfect fit with the existing > westy fridge cabinet. Since you don't have a westy fridge cabinet right > now, you have the freedom to go with other options that most people don't > have. You could get a bigger one, etc. And you shouldn't have any trouble > selling off the Dom fridge you already have to some westy owner whose > restricted in his choice by his cabinets. > > If you don't already have a propane tank and aren't planning to install a > stove, it seems like a no brainer to go with one of the efficient compressor > models that run off an aux battery. For the cost and trouble your > considering with installing propane, you could even put in 2 aux batteries, > and have a more efficient, more effective, and larger fridge that would run > for a good long camping trip. And you wouldn't have a potentially dangerous > non-original propane setup to worry about. > > I know this is one of those posts that doesn't really answer your question, > but I just wanted to point this stuff out, in case you hadn't considered it. > > > -Wes > > > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> Hey volks, >> >> Can anyone refer to me to an owner site or provide input on the process of >> installing a Dom into a Vanagon. I'm interested in the following: >> >> Time/tools/inspections required/advised >> Best location (I'm thinking directly aft of the Driver) >> If anyone has installed an enclosed access panel on the exterior which >> houses the utility connections and/or provides access for PM >> An improved design for the air inlet/outlet >> If anyone knows the thickness of the stock LP tank's cylinder wall compared >> to those 17# tanks or smaller sold at hardware stores. >> If anyone has shortend the inlet tube and/or lengthened the exhaust tube >> from the Dom to effect a superior 'flue draft'. >> >> Amicalement! >> >> -- >> Neil2 >> '82 Diesel Westy (Duckie) >> Nunquam Pendite Divendium >> >> > >