Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:28:35 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Relay with time-delay to off??

> I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but really want to get a relay circuit > that keeps power to a device on for some preset amount of time (say, 1 hour) > after input power has shut off. > > Why do I want such a thing? I want to wire it up into the 12v supply for > the fridge, so that I can have the fridge running on 12v, and make short > stops for gas/lunch/whatever without the fridge losing power, but also > without me running the battery down because I forget to shut it off. >

I have a couple 30 minute Intermatic wind-up timer switches in my work Vanagon for powering up the inverter and DeWalt battery chargers, respectively. Crude, but highly effective and nearly indestructible. Apparently even a battery charger trickling a charged battery and an inverter with no load will drain an auxiliary battery FAST when you forget to turn them off. Ask me how I know. The only drawback to the Intermatics is that they're designed for 120V applications so they're BIG--- single-gang electrical box big.

If you're looking for something electronic, I think the Altronix 6062 timer module would be ideal. It's designed for alarm and access control stuff and the relay is limited to 8A, so you might have to use its lower amperage relay to fire a larger relay that can handle the fridge's power draw. The timer is adjustable from 1 sec to 60 min, comes with good instructions, and can generally be found for less than $20. Google "Altronix 6062".