Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:51:44 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Purpose of "Voltage Stabilizer" in Instrument cluster?
Comments: To: Stephen Edwards <welfarewrkr@IGC.ORG>

Maybe, but I would be more inclined first to blame a weak ground connection for the instrument cluster. VW connected a lot of dash stuff through one ground point and if that connection point is weak there can be feedback in the cluster when other circuits are active. Try reseating the 14 pin connector on the lower right side of the instrument cluster. If that does not help, I would jumper a new ground wire from exposed metal of the body to the brown wire on pin 3 of 14 pin connector as a test and possible fix. Rudimentary knowledge of the use of a Volt/Ohm meter helps.

Other causes of blinking people have experienced include loose nuts on the back on the temp gauge. These tiny nuts make the contacts for the gauge leads to the blue foil. There is also a known failure inside the gauge itself that has been reported as being worse in cold/damp, at least at first. Since headlights get used more at night and night is colder than day it may be the cold as much as the lights on that increases the occurrence of your problem. It may be a combination of these things. It may be a fault in the blue foil itself

All the above assumes you have eliminated the coolant level circuit as a cause. In 86-91 it is a simple matter to remove the coolant level relay from position 3 of the main relay panel. It should have a large 42 or 43 stamped on the exposed end. Pull this out for a while and very if the problem still exists with it missing. If so, the cause of the problem is likely as discussed above.

Mark

Stephen Edwards wrote: > Hi all. > > Mark Drillock's explanation makes me wonder if this is related to the > problem I'm having. > > I have a Vanaru conversion which was done about two years ago. Since > the first winter I've had a problem - used to be intermittent, now > extremely frequent - with the coolant LED coming on when the coolant > level was not low, and the temp not particularly high. > > Recently I noticed that it is most likely to happen when the > headlights are on - and almost 100% likely when the lights are on > high beam. > > Sounds like I should check the voltage regulator - exactly where is > the little bugger and what does it look like? > > TIA > > Steve, 91 GL with 1995 Subie 2.2. >