Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:26:51 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drain plug

> First, I have to respectfully and emphatically disagree with > Mike Miller on using a hardware store supplied plastic water > pipe cap on the Westy Fresh Water Tank Drain Pipe. 12 years > ago I made this mistake that cost me dearly when I had try to > find a another tank because the SAE sized cap and threads > literally obliterated the drain pipe threads which are both metric. > > VW 253 070 285 - 34mm - > Parts Fiche (ignore ETKA) says 80 thru 85, but I've > encountered this size up thru early 88 models. > VW 255 070 802 B - 35mm > Parts Fiche (again ignore ETKA) says 86-91, but again, I've > found this to be pretty spotty thru 88, but quite consistent > on 89-91 tank pipes. > > Both are sadly obsolete by VW & Westfalia

I have suitable replacements.

Early: http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=253067285

Late: http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255070802B

We list the break as sometime in 1987, which is more accurarte than '85. There is no doubt that '86 used the early style. Still, like Jim, I have found the break point to be "iffy." I have seen late '87 models that took the early cap, and at least one early '87 that took the late cap. It may be that Westfalia was using whatever happened to be on the shelf in '87 and it's not a clean break at all. The difference is so minor that it's impossible to tell with the naked eye, making it a coin flip knowing which to order if you have an '87. (One option is to order both and return the 'wrong' one.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT