Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:57:30 -0400
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upgrading coolant system to 86-91 on 84 WESTY
Comments: To: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@hotmail.com>

I asked that question just a few days ago. I have a 2.1L WBX that came from a Syncro. The advice i got was not to bother with the 2.1L system... but if that's the case why did VW change so much in the first place? I'd like to keep the oil cooler. If I end up retaining my '84 cooling system I'm going to install and aftermarket oil cooler from Bus Boys.

So.. here's my thinking. The '86 coolant pipes, the ones that run the length of the van, are shorter than '84/85. If you look at your firewall the pipes stick out and that's where the rubber hoses clamp on. In an '86 the rubber hoses go through the firewall.

Here are pics of my 2.1L with the cooling system:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/misterpolak/WBX_transplant/WBX01.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/misterpolak/WBX_transplant/WBX02.jpg

As in an '84/85 there are two large hoses that connect to the radiator and two smaller hoses that connect to the heaters. As you see on an '86 and newer, one heater hose must cross over the transmission to the passenger side to hook up to the heater. It APPEARS that the steel or plastic pipes your '84 is using would need to be cut a little shorter to interface with the hoses from the 2.1L cooling system.

I'm going to pull my engine first and then try to test-fit the hoses in place to see if it all match up. I'll have more pics in a few days. The engine should be out Thursday.