Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jul 2008 02:47:52 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: why sell it?   just scrap it.   youll make more money.
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Regardless of any of that, they are great very versitile, useful, fixable vehciles - Vanagons are ............and they get fine mileage for what they can carry and do. Whether haouuig stuff, or people, or camping in it, or even living it - lot of van , german van even.............for what they are.

84's in particular seem to bring 'nothing almost.' Except for campers of course. I got one ..............I was told it was an 86.............and I asked............'like what - 300 bucks ? .......and the guy say yes' .......... I drove by, glanced at it - yep ........looks like an 86 ...........OK, fine. Running too. No leaking heads either.

I've never done this in my whole life - when the guy arrived with it, I just told him where to park it. I never even listened to it run or anything.......... figured it was well worth it for the parts if nothing else.

I look at it a little bit, and see that it's an 84 GL with retangular headlights and late 'vanagon' trim on the back........... So I ask for 50 bucks back. 250 for a running 84 .......and I didn't even have to test drive it or go get it !! I named it the Yard Dog, and I use it around my shop to haul gravel for landscaping and road improvement, ............pull other vanagons areound..........whatever. Lot of good van there if you know at all how to care for them.

you talked about scarp. I think of the parts ..........I just bought an 87 Wolfsburg- has every goodie - jump seats, cruise control, central locking ........fiberglass bumnpers and the rear one is pretty goood too..................( not running, overheated and half disassembled by an idiot ) ............but the parts are worth more than the van itself, and with just an engine and some care..............could be a fantastic deluxe vanaong. I got most of a set of the exact correct real Vanagon tires too on it.

I think it's great fun to resore and refurmbish them back to full health. real soon I'll be having some camper vanaogns ready to sell.........and tuned and restored to the max too, like ready to leave for alaska. all fun !

'the problem' is a shortage of people that have the time, knowledge, resoureces and skills, and perhaps money to take care of them really right. and they are NOT hard to fix or take care of really well. Getting some shop to make it run right when it's say, having a fuel injection glitch ............that CAN be hard to get............or people that have real jobs and don't work on them full time, or have several parts vans to get parts from - it's harder for them to really do justice to these fine vehclies.......... .............but, there is a ton of life left in them ! The stay amazingly valid in the current automotive world.........being 20 years, or more, old too. And i'm happy to help people fix and maintain their vanagons too....... I wonder how many there really are say, in North America. must be really a lot. and it makes me sick to see something like a 90 Carat that's not smashed or rusted, being parted out in a junkyard, ........and just briefly too - just whatever sells quickly- then crush it for scrape. You can't get them back after that.......... and for the overall blend of what the vhecile is...........they are darn good. More modern stuff might get better mileage, or have ABS brakes, or better aeriodyamics............but you can't work on them as much yourself, they don't have generaou ground clearance.........etc. etc. etc. I'd like to have an anti-scraping bumper sticker for Vanagons. scott www.turbovans.com

JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > yea its a sad day when you can get more for a vehicle by scrapping it out > then selling it with issues.. > > scrap metal is way up.. the highest its been ever.. guys are trolling the > neighborhoods with trucks and trailers, hauling cars out of peoples backyards > or wherever, and just scrapping them, running or not. i stopped a guy on > the way to the scrapyard with a '90 audi 200 turbo on his trailer.. the car > ran and drove, but had a leaky PS rack. he said he can get $700 for it at the > scales just by scrapping it.. > > amazing. it took me forever to sell a rust-free '84 sunroof van i had, > for a measly $400 when in reality i could have gotton almost twice that by just > hauling it to the scrapyard where they wouldnt have given a flying fark if the > heads leaked or not. > > "but your doing it for the love of the hobby" meh. > reality bites you in the ass. > > chris > > > ************** > Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for > fuel-efficient used cars. > (http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007) > > >