Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:46:20 -0700
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fire extinguisher brand/mounting recommendations?
Comments: To: Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com>

Thanks Neil and Loren,

Plastic chain?

Figuring that I would want the dogs to escape (safe assumption) I would leave the driver's seat and staying inside the vehicle head toward the sliding door. The sliding door is also normally left open or ajar during camping (if it's not buggy). So that does sound like the best place.

At Lowe's they have a 1 A 10 BC Kidde extinguisher called "recreational" it's red and 12.99, or a white 10 BC "auto/marine" for 16.99.

They are the same size but the dry chemical inside is different; sodium bicarbonate in the auto/marine and ammonium phosphate in the cheaper model. I don't know the difference in effectiveness but because we camp I can see the utility in the nominal 1A protection. I'm also not particular about the color so I'm going with the cheaper model.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com> wrote: > Pretend you have a fire. Where would you want to have it? The first place > you mention is the best location I've seen and the one I chose. I mounted > mine with large ball chain from the hardware store. Chain holds it steady > and breaks easily in an emergency. > > On 6/29/08, Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> We are still in "outfitting" mode of the camper and I was wondering >> about a good FE as well as a good place to mount it. I was thinking >> of the pillar behind the passenger seat/right in front of sliding >> door. ...