Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:45:23 -0400
From:         Joe Federici <joefederici@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC under rear seat?

I did a custom install of an after market AC unit made for classic cars in my Adventurewagen. I put it in the forward compartment over the passenger and drivers head. This was also done by adventurewagen when they were built but mine came without it. Anyway you could use the same type of unit on your van. I also used an after market condenser so I could keep everything 134 along with the subie power plant. It was a lot of work running all new hoses but it's been really nice this year.

I just did a trip to WV over the holiday weekend and had the AC on driving up the hills and driving 65 and under, which is hard on the flats with everyone passing you. That said I got 19 MPG and I was very happy. I looked at the Behr units but didn't want to deal with 20 year old parts that I would be hooking up to a 2002 compressor.

I bought the evaporator/blower and switches from Ed Gillmore who also sell units for older vw's. You could also put a second condenser under the van. I've seen this done on 2WD subi vans with good results.

I posted some pictures here from when I first finished:

<http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278604&highlight=>

I've also got some pictures of just the evaporator from when I was test fitting, it's a small unit and would fit under the seat. email for pics.

Good luck, it's one of those projects worth the time in my humid area of the country.

JFF