Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:54:34 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Nice inverter for making coffee...Xantrex XM 1000 PRO
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>

Some thing to consider with this inverter: $99 seems to be a price too good to be true. Is it a genuine Xantrex? Even when switched off, it draws some power. Long term storage will require disconnecting or charging the battery to keep it from being run down.

Under full load, you are looking at a 100 amp plus draw. You need some battery capacity to back this up. A 60A/H battery will be getting pulled near a .5C rate which will cause internal damage. The damage can include some internal plate deformation and shorting resulting in future nasty battery failure. Yes, one of those unexplained melt down almost exploding deals. You really want to stay in the 2c range (discharge at 2 hour rate) minimum and understand that deep cycle batteries are rated at 5 and/or 20 hour rate. The faster the draw, the lower the capacity is that is really available.

If the inverter should be used while your charging relay or however you charge the battery is closed, all that wiring and the wiring from the alternator to that point will have to carry that load. Be sure it is up to the task.

If you do hardwire to the other outlets in the van, wire so it does not feed the fridge and make sure all outlets after it are or are protected by a GFI.

Most appliances and laptops will work fine with the modified sine wave. Pay attention to laptop and cell phone batteries though as the ripple from the modified sine wave will sometimes cause these batteries to become heaters. If a 12 volt charger or supplies is available for these devices, use it. It will be more efficient than the inverter anyway for these applications.

Dennis

I just bought one of these at Canadian tire. No-load current is quite low, so leaving it on for an 8h night is not a big deal on a 60Ah+ deep cycle battery.

Note to Canadians: The Canadian tire web site says $149, but the shelf sticker in my store said $99, and that 's what it rang up for. Maybe I was just lucky.

B.t.w. One or another of their inverters are almost always on sale it is just a matter of waiting until the one you want is.

MArtin

--- On Fri, 7/11/08, Gary Duncan <Gary.Duncan@COMCAST.NET> wrote: From: Gary Duncan <Gary.Duncan@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: Nice inverter for making coffee...Xantrex XM 1000 PRO To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Received: Friday, July 11, 2008, 1:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up and review on this inverter! Imagine waking up to the smell of fresh coffee!

Now, how to turn both the coffee maker And the Inverter on at 6AM? I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to run the Inverter all night.

Some kind of a 12v timer?

Any Ideas out there?

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Paul Guzyk <paullist08@GUZYK.COM>

__________________________________________________________________ Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!