Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:20:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: AMC Heads
Comments: To: Kim Springer <kimspringer@RCN.COM>

what price are you getting on vavles from TRW ? there are two grades of exhaust valves I believe............. whether they are sodium filled or not....... and what country they come from. I got some 'top grade' exahsut valves from my regular supplier a wihle ago - I needed to replace two of the 4 - I think they were near 80 bucks each - ouch. Intakes cost much less of course. I have an AMC head that ran on a 2.1 waterboxer engine for about 12,000 miles. I'll sell you the thing cheap as a 'parts head' ..............or if you had it resurfaced plus turn down the area inside the compbustion chamber the proper amount ( this dimension affects how much the outer water retentioin gasket is compressed, or not )

I do not condsier AMC heads to be very good btw. I would much rather properly rebuild and 're-do' original type heads. About that outer water gasket........you 'must' always test fit the head on the block ( with the metal rings on top of the cyldiner barrels of course ) and measure the gap where the watergasket goes.

I have seen them pinch the gasket too much, and it fails after a while. I've seen them not compress the gasket enough, and it leaks after a while. and i've seen them tapered and tilted' ..........i.e. not even all the way across !

I have measured and calculated the water gasket 'inner' thinkness at 3.5 mm, and I aim for half a mm compression of that gasket. I also use Toyota black sealant on them, not the VW stuff. ( given how industrutable Toyota's USED to be............I figure they must make good sealant. it's a bit expensive, but very good stuff )

I'll sell this slighlty used 'parts' AMC head for 25 bucks, plus shipping and paypal fees if they're involved. I don't promise it's a ready to go on an engine the way it is. But that it is what I say it is, and miles on it are not 30K or anything like that.

you don't say if you are talking about a 1.9 or a 2.1 wbxr, engine. but i've read that AMC only makes one head for both engines. - which is odd, would me they have t compromise a bit on compression ratio for one engine or the other or both.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim Springer" <kimspringer@RCN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 8:43 PM Subject: AMC Heads