Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:09:35 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stubborn Exhaust leak
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>

I have used this double gasket approach on all used waterboxer exhaust system for many years now. metal side of gasket out, thin layers of hi temp rtv between each and on mating surfaces, allow to for skin, assemble, give 12 hours minimum to cure. I use loctite hi temp RTV, 2400degree, in a 300ml cartridge, bought off eBay. Red loctite on all hardware holding the pieces together. Heat will be needed to break the hardware apart whenever, so make a note or label in engine compartment.

If the mating surfaces are not flat, do not start the van to see how well it worked just after finishing. Let it sit for 12 hours minimum.

dylan

----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:36:40 PM Subject: Re: Stubborn Exhaust leak

Hmm... I do have a tube of RTV red, and it says 650F maximum -- wouldn't it just cook & melt or does it not actually get that hot?

Can you share your sandwich recipe? Do the flat metal sides of the gaskets go inside or outside? does the RTV go in between the sandwich or outside or ...?