Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:08:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Converting 2WD to Syncro
Comments: To: Gary.Duncan@comcast.net

hot dog man. it's gonna be interesting , challenging and fun. that one comment on thesamba that it can never be good as an original syncro................ I dispute that. there's no end of things you can do to, and upgrades you can apply to, a sycnro vanaogn. You can make it ultimatgly as fantastic as you can afford or find time to invest in it. scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: Gary.Duncan@comcast.net To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:19 PM Subject: Re: Converting 2WD to Syncro

Thanks to Everyone for your input on this. I'm gonna do it !!! Help me Oh Vanagon gods in the Sky !! :o) Thanks again!

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

You;ll likely get many repsonses to this. It's been done many times. it's quite a bit of work for sure. Whether it's worth it or not depends entirely, in my opinion on whether or not you need and will actaully use the great capabilites of the AWD syncro drivetrain. If that's a 'yes' , then it's deffenitely worth it. The value of your vanagon will also be higher, particularily if it's a Westy or high-top Adventuerwagen with Syncro AWD added.

the 'dowsides' - like I said....'if you need the capabilityh and use it - like for ski or snowbaord trips etc......or even some off roading, though that is not what syncro's were intended for really, not in the rack-crawling go up anything sense, but they can be rigged for that too........... but..........the vehicle wieghs more, and eats a bit more fuel. The drivetrain, in my opinion, with the Viscous Coupling puts more stress on the transmission.........a typical syncro trans might need rebuilding ever 100K miles. Viscous Couplings have thier issues eventually, they're not cheap I don't think. Noises and vibrations are about 8 times harder to track down and isolate in a syncro than in a 2WD vanagon.

there are 8 CV joints, two differentials, the trans of course........and until you get used to them they are MUCH harder to work on and access things, like the starter say, than on a 2WD vanagon. Front suspensioin is considerably more bothersome to work on than 2WD .......etc. You just have to get used to what syncro's take, when they need repairs.

but sure, go for it. I hadn't realized until just the other day you cut out, like with a sawzall, parts of the 2WD front 'frame metal' to install the syncro parts in their place. Some might say it's two long 6-beers-a-day weekends to do the conversion. It would take me 40 hours at least I bet. There's a lot to it, but go for it !

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Duncan" <Gary.Duncan@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:51 AM Subject: Converting 2WD to Syncro