Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:16:38 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Fan Resistor Question

In my experience there are only a handful of common electrical failures on Vanagons. Ok, maybe 2 handfuls. I guess someone should compile a list along with a quick check for determining if a given problem a Vanagon owner has is due to one of the common ones like yours was.

Mark

Paul Connelly wrote: > Thanks for the help guys, > > I will try to get around to changing them all over at some point, > Scott. For the moment I took the connectors all off and the Multi > Point Grounds out cleaned everything up and tightened all of the > spades and reconnected everything. Fan now works perfectly on low and > high! > > Still no head lights but that's a job for tomorrow.... > > Have a great evening, > > Cheers, Paul. > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com <mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com>> wrote: > > if you are talking about that multi-ground point with push-on > spade terminals........... > way mo betta to convert them to screw and eye grounding terminals. > Be sure to put a star type pointy washer betwixt the wire terminal > and the body of the van. > scott > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Connelly" > <vanagonhummingbird@GMAIL.COM <mailto:vanagonhummingbird@GMAIL.COM>> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>> > Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 4:43 PM > Subject: Re: Radiator Fan Resistor Question > > > > Hey Mark, > > You're right - had to crimp up a jumper wire, but using a > parallel ground > turned the fan. So bad earth - looks like it is the furthest > away of the > second ground post behind the fuse panel, Maybe that's the > headlight issue > too - I guess its time to take them all off clean them up and > re apply. I > did try each crimp terminal with a meter to a separate ground > earlier, and > didn't see any problems, but I guess its there... Well - > that's the next > couple of hours... > > Thanks Again, > > Paul. > > Could they make it any tighter to get in there!!! > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:03 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net > <mailto:mdrillock@cox.net>> wrote: > > What you just wrote suggests the bad ground for the fan as > I mentioned at > the end of my reply. Either that or you have multiple > problems. The ground > can be intermittent.............. > > > > ....... > > > > Another common failure point is the ground lug for > the brown wire coming > from the fan. It plugs into the grounding star > behind the main relay > panel. > Many grounds plug in there and corrosion is a > major issue on them. > > > Mark >