Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:04:22 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trouble with power window motors rusting?
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>

The only additional recomendation that I would add to your advice, would be to use a nozzle for compressed air to blow the dirt and dust out of the 'felt' before spraying it down with silicone spray.

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Cichowski" <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 12:45 PM Subject: Re: Trouble with power window motors rusting?

Hi Todd,

Yup, that same has happened to me - rusted completely up on my '88 and I was able to re-vamp them without problem. Pulling out the motor is the hardest part, which isn't all that bad. But, once you get it out...

If you look at the base of the motor, the armature rides on a spherical bearing down there where it looks like an ice cream cone :) There are some holes that should be plugged with rubber plugs, though they may have been removed. Take those out and spray your choice of rust loosener, WD40, PB Blaster, whatever - it really doesn't matter.

The armature is riding only on this spherical bearing and the bearing at the top that you can see when you remove the motor. Mine was totally rusted solid at the bottom, but just fine at the top. Basically, you just need to get that armature spinning free by breaking up the rust at the bottom (most likely) and then keeping it greased. You can take the whole thing apart, or, if you get lucky, just soak that bottom bearing for a day or so, and turn the armature by hand. If you need to put a little wrench on the armature to break the rust loose, that should be fine. It should spin free with just your fingers when it is working properly.

To test it before hooking it up to the drive mechanism in the window, just hook up the connectors and see if it spins free. Keep a paper towel around the holes when you first start it because all that crud you sprayed in there is going to be spraying back out again when the motor spins.

Now, take a look at your seals like Tom mentioned. Hopefully they look pretty good and you can just silicone the "felt" (I dont' know the material, it isn't felt...) runners along the sides and make sure the brackets that actually support the window are properly greased where you have the plastic slider moving up and down.

I did this to my completely non-functioning window regulator and now they are working like new.

-Ben

_________________________________________________________________ The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_ChangeWorld=