Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:56:38 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No instrument lights or gas guage?
Comments: To: Oliver Mueller-Heubach <groundhogging@mac.com>

Do you know where on the engine the smoke is coming from?

Does it have a new exhaust system or exhaust parts? Sometimes there's stuff that burns off a new exhaust part(s). This might cause a *little* smoke. Or it could be greasy handprints etc. burning off of parts handled by the mechanic. Either way, if it's minimal, (i.e. a light coating) it should burn off without incident.

I recall reading that if the dipstick is too hot to touch, the engine is likely running hot. Probably in the Vanagon archives somewhere. That and some other info on how to tell if your air cooled engine is running too hot. An infrared gun could be borrowed. If you have access to one, aim it at the head part of #3 cylinder. I think this is where the engine gets the hottest. I don't have the info handy, but IIRC, if you are seeing engine head temps above 425F, the engine may be running too hot. I'm sure air cooled engine head temp info is in the archives. Mine ran pretty much at 350F.

IMHO, unless there is still a *previous* separate, unaddressed issue, (something the mechanic wasn't asked to work on) that is causing an engine oil leak, there shouldn't be any significant "oil mess" on the engine after it has been worked on. Especially after a rebuild.

As for lack of power, it could be a variety of things. Vacuum advance hose not connected etc. Might be something simple like that.

Was the engine totally rebuilt?

What oil viscosity are you running?

Neil.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Oliver Mueller-Heubach <groundhogging@mac.com> wrote: .... Engine-wise, I still have issues. Acceleration uphill is pretty > pitiful, but the thing seems to be getting painfully hot. When I stopped, > the it was smoking oil like crazy- but only two drips in 6 hours of > standing. I'd like to think the smoke is just leftover oil mess from the > rebuild, but it seems fishy. Will run it back to the shop tomorrow. This > beast has to be usable after 1800 bucks. As soon as I can afford it, I will > be getting a temp guage (I have about $20- to my name at present). Anyone > want to trade a spare front curtain, disc brake pads (later westy) and > miscellaneous turn signals, taillights, etc. for a temp gauge? > ollie