Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:22:42 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@xochi.com>

Good on ya.

On mine, I found that where the piezo wire connects to the back of the sparker button, the wire was crimped to the push on connector, but there was no copper strands connected to the push on connector.

Check for leaks. If you can find a way to plug the inlet and blow in the exhaust, you should have no leaks. If you have a leak, it could be:

Incorrectly assembled flue Incorrectly assembled combustion chamber leak at inlet or exhaust tubes. They do crack the union at the big brass nut gaskets on the intake/exhaust tubes where they meet the combustion box seal(s) on combustion box. (these can be "made" with Hi Temp RV sealant) seal between upper ends of intake/exhaust tubes and manifold (can't recall correct name of this part)

Neil.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Michael Diehr <md03@xochi.com> wrote: > Update : removed the dometic again, and discovered no spark. Turns > out the spark wire had been wedged between the left size and the van > and was partially cut when I replaced the fridge. I insulated the > wire, zip tied it so it wouldn't get stuck again, took the burner box > apart, verified the nozzle had a smooth clear stream of water through > it, cleaned and resealed the box & gaskets, got a propane tank to test > with, and it lit right up on first spark :) > > Reinstalled it in the van, and it lit right up again. :) > > However, left it running over night, and in the AM the temperature was > about 60 (on 120VAC the temperature overnight was 33). Grr. :( > > Taking a look at the flame, I see that it's blue, but with some red > glowing part as well. This suggests to me the flame is not adjusted > properly. I know in the past my regulator was out of adjustment -- > could this cause the flame to look that way or is this more likely a > flame jet problem? > > > On Jul 14, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Michael Diehr wrote: > >> Thanks for all the responses! :) >> >> So, I cleaned & refurbished my dometic, but was out of propane so >> reinstalled it w/o checking the function on the bench. It works very >> nicely on 120VAC. However, I just got the propane tank filled and now >> can't get it to light at all - no visible flame or spark. I tried >> sucking on the drain tube with a hose, but can't smell any propane. >> >> Before I remove the unit again (ugh) is there anything stupidly easy >> that I'm missing? I'm pretty sure I hooked everything back up >> properly and didn't have any parts left over (a good sign). How long >> does it take to "bleed" the system of air after it's been taken >> apart? I've tried holding the gas button for about 5 minutes but no >> luck. >> >> Any tips? >