Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:19:50 -0700
From:         Thomas Jefferson Kitts <thomas@THOMASKITTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Neil, I am on the list, although this having to hit "reply all" to actually post to the group seems a tad antiquated for a listserv these days Also seem to duplicate the messages being sent and received. But hey, I digress and should stay focussed on the low-tech of fridges, not the high-tech of "the internets". . .

Last night's beer offering to the Dometic Gods failed to produce any chilling effect on 110V power so I picked up the fridge and gently shook it side to side. There was a reasonable sloshing sound produced so I assume by that means there is ammonia in the piping. I'll plug it back in and wait two hours to see if any heat is produced.

The PO told me it worked on propane although it was a PITA to light. I don't have any reason to doubt him but then I haven't been able to fire it up myself. Maybe the Dometic was on the edge when I bought it.

I'll try flipping the fridge over for 24 hours as you suggest and re- plug it in, but I think I am rapidly approaching the ritualistic and ceremonial state of trouble-shooting. You know, when you start chanting and waving herbs and dancing around the thing to appease the unknown. If the flipping doesn't work I'll search out a service facility and have them look at it. It's $100 bucks just to have them take a peak and if I learn it is unfixable, or would more expensive to do so than it's worth, I'd move on to another solution. I'm not a Westy purist.

Michael is recommending the Vitrifrigo, although he doesn't specify a specific model for the Westy. I was hoping for a electrical+propane solution if there is one available. And a unit which would go into the same space the Dometic occupied. I'd prefer not to have heavy things taking up extra floor space capable of flying around.

Anyone?

Bueller . . . ?

regards,

Thomas