Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:16:12 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy Engine/Trans removal Day 1 - or Boy,
              do I miss my 67 Westy!!!
Comments: cc: rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM

In a message dated 18/07/2008 2:58:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

As I was removing the 100th coolant hose (BTW did I mention how much I hate spring clamps!!! Yes, wet toilet, paper cold pizza, warm beer and friggin' spring clamps!! (all of which are pointing in an inaccessible direction)

Richard, those spring clamps can be a PITA. BUT, they are the best hose clamps you can have. Do not under any circumstances replace them !!!! If you need new ones they are available from VW. There are six different sizes, see my _Vanagon Items Forsale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/sales.htm) website under the "Cooling System" header. To make working with those spring clamps more fun you need the proper spring clamp tools. Hand held ones looking like pliers with different angled jaws are available, remote cable operated ones also, these come from SEARS or good tool suppliers. And, to make some of those clamps work easier, the small tab that stops the clamp from opening all the way can be cut of with a cut off wheel on a die grinder to allow the clamp to open more allowing it to slip down the hose over the nipple bubble. They were intended to be put on the hose in the proper place and the hose and clamp together moved into location. However when removing old hoses the hose is usually stuck to the nipple and removing it without first getting the hose clamp out of the way is impossible or difficult or impossible. When installing the hoses onto any aluminium nipples use Loctite Grey RTV Silicon Sealant made for use on aluminium. This will stop any corrosion of the aluminium nipple as your seeing on the nipples of the old engine. No sealant is needed where hoses connect to plastic nipples. ALL HOSES should be inspected for integrity, the ends cleaned thoroughly so no corrosion is left behind to impede connection to the new nipple or the hose should be replaced with a new one.

One more suggestion while I have your attention. ALL and I mean ALL of the metal pipes, brackets, flanges, pulleys, plenum, intake runners, etc. made from metal that rusts and was painted originally, or plated and corroded such as the push rod tube covers, engine lower tins, muffler shield, coolant tank support, etc., SHOULD ALL be cleaned, wire brushed, sandblasted, then coated with POR-15 ! I do this on all quality engine rebuild jobs. Then you will always have a real pretty, clean looking engine. Just a simple wash with a pressure sprayer and viola - CLEAN & SHINNY !

_http://picasaweb.google.com/Frankcondelli/POR15edParts_ (http://picasaweb.google.com/Frankcondelli/POR15edParts)

Enjoy your father son project - You will be happy with the results when your done.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008