Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:53:11 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <vanagon_dad@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: power mirror, replacing large nut

For me, this was a two-man job.

One to hold the mirror in place, and the second (me) to get the nut started.

It is a small trial to get that nut started, but if the mirror body (and therefor the threaded section) is held still, it is a bit simpler.

It may reqire that you pull the mirror glass out of its mount, then the mirror motor mount out of the main housing, and then remove the wires from the mirror motor, one at a time, and pull them thru the hollow shaft. Be careful, and mark which wire goes where! This should be kept as a last resort, because of the possibility of mistakes in reconnecting the wires.

azsun99 <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: The spring-loaded nut that threads on the shaft inside the base has come loose. I have had to replace this nut before, but this is on a different van and I am having no luck. Besides having to work inside the small opening of the base, and trying to thread it back on against the spring, there are the 5 or 6 small wires coming through the middle. I am having no luck. I have searched the archives and only find msgs about not tightening it too much, nothing about getting it back on. Any suggestions, please?

Jerry