Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:10:30 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@xochi.com>

I see what you mean, and that's a good point about making a gasket with RTV

IIRC the RTV instructions say ".... finger tighten". Though it almost goes w/o saying, I would amend it to read something like " *evenly* finger tighten" or "until material squeezes out *evenly*. "

I can see what you mean about the plate containing the peizo. I imagine too, that if a person torqued one side of the larger "lid" tighter than the other while making the gasket, this might make for a pretty thin gasket on one side.

Thanks for the info.

Luckily the 182B has the separate plate (with piezo on it). I can just see in the hole.

It's all good.

Neil.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Michael Diehr <md03@xochi.com> wrote: > I had removed my piezo and bent it while cleaning, and also replaced the > thick gasket with a thinner layer of RTV. So it wasn't lining up right. > > I have bent it down and out so that it looks more like the picture. On > mine, the tip approaches the metal between the 1st and 2nd gas vent holes, > not the 2nd and third as in the picture. Seems to work fine now and no > longer glows red hot. > > Probably something to note for anyone who is using RTV -- the alignment may > be a tiny bit off. > > > On Jul 19, 2008, at 1:41 PM, neil N wrote: > >> Hi David. >> >> I had to wonder too looking at the pics Michael posted. >> >> I just had a quick look at the Dometic service manual. >> >> The drawing on P.17 shows the tip of the peizo just across the first >> opening on LH side of the burner. (birds eye view, piezo at bottom) >> >> How would one have the burner too far outboard? Or is it a matter of >> it being rotated to the wrong position? >> >> I may have to re-check mine if that is possible. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> >> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> >> wrote: >>> >>> At 02:32 PM 7/19/2008, Michael Diehr wrote: >>> >>> Is the burner tube lined up correctly under the flue? If it's too >>> far outboard that would explain why the piezo electrode is lit >>> up. BTW is it really that bright, or is your camera emphasizing the IR? >>> >>> >>> -- >>> David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- >>> http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ >>> '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation" >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >