Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:10:16 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Exhausting work.... Advice solicited.

Hi volks,

OK, yesterday AM I spent some quality time under my 1.9-powered '87 wolfsburg, trying to see how to make the back end a bit quieter.

Problem #1. The entire exhaust is all welds, from front to back. problem #2. The muffler and cat both have leaks from the top, where my welder can't reach to patch them. Problem #3. The system has no hangers installed, it's all hanging from the engine, except for one rubber-grommeted hanger off the tip of the muffler.

So the first thing I tried was to install a 2.1 exhaust hanger I bought at BusFusion. Unfortunately, I can't fit it between the engine hanger and the 3-4 crosspipe. So I cut off the bottom section with my trusty angle-grinder. Now all I need are some hardened 6" long M10 bolts and I an install the bracket. Unfortunately brafasco isn't open on weekends, so that mod will have to wait.

The next thing I did was to remove the muffler, which was held on with a U-clamp. And as it turned out, the muffler was about 1/8" bigger than the pipe it was attached too, and the U-clamp was used to make up the difference. In the process the clamp mangled the input flange pretty bad, and it eventually started leaking. Luckily, I have a spare "cherry Bomb" muffler. Unluckily, it has the same size input pipe as the one I just took off. Luckily, my brother has a pipe flanging tool I can borrow. So I borrow the tool and flange the pipe out a bit and the muffler now fits snugly enough. In the process of expanding the pipe I had a little problem with the flanging tool and subsequently discovered that the catalytic converter is completely hollow, though it still has the O2 sensor in it. Interesting. I supported the new muffler for the time being with a 2" bracket that I welded to the #2 cylinder exhaust header.

Unfortunately the vehicle is still pretty loud. The worst of the sound has now been determined to be coming from the #4 exhaust gasket, or more likely from the lack (or failure) thereof. Looking at the heads it appears that it's done up with bolts all round, which I will take as a good sign. I tightened the #4 bolts a bit and neither of them broke on me, but the exhaust noise is still there. I guess I will have to pull the whole works down and put new gaskets in, and in that case I will probably switch over to a rusty but complete 2.1 exhaust I picked up cheap at the busFusion swap meet. I'll have to have it sandblasted and POR'd before then... is there a POR for high-heat applications anyone here would recommend, or should I just put it up as-is? Ceramic coating is not in the budget right now, nor is a Stebro system, much as I'd like one. One stumbling block there is that the 2.1 system I have has a straight pipe fitted in place of the catalytic converter with no place to mount the O2 sensor. Perhaps I can swap over the pseudo-cat from my current system, but it has no flanges, so that's gonna be a bit of a hack. Sigh.

Also, over the past few months I have had a pretty regular 18.3 MPG (US Gallon) gas milage with mostly lightly loaded highway driving at 65-70 MPG. I would have expected a bit better from a non-westy. Are the exhaust leaks or the lack of a catalytic converter are affecting my milage, or is this more likely a "state-of-tune" issue.

If you volks have some advice to help ensure people see me coming before they hear me coming, it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca