Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:23:39 -0700
From:         John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      AC Blower problem
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

Thanks Mark,

You "nailed it" It is not so easy to see that a "bare metal strip" is in fact the fuse when it is no longer there. Bentley shows a fuse but it was not clear based on the fuzzy images what to look for.

I confirmed that (after making the connection that the fuse provides) the blower works in the 2 high settings just fine !!

So the obvious question now is: Where to get a replacement fuse ? This has to be a dealer item ??

-john

mdrillock wrote: > The 2 higher speeds run off a separate fuse from the 2 lower speeds. > This fuse also powers the compressor clutch and the radiator fan low > speed when A/C is on. This fuse is very important obviously. > > The fuse in question lives inside the lh rear pillar cover. It is really > a bare metal strip screwed at each end to the base of a relay holder in > that area. The metal strip is the fuse. That immediate area is prone to > cooked wires so look at it carefully even if the fuse is good. Use a > voltmeter to check the fuse and the wires. > > Mark > > John Goubeaux wrote: >> Folks, >> >> I have a situation on a 90 (with factory AC) where the AC fan works on >> the first two settings but nothing on the 3rd and 4th. I have already >> trbl shot the switch up fwd and it IS good. >> >> So is this a problem with the evaporator fan resistors ? or someone >> suggested that: >> >> "There are two fan resistors, one for each fan motor. Unless they both >> burned out at the same time, they are probably not your problem, its >> more likely you have a problem with the evaporator fan switch and its >> associated wiring." >> >> I'm not sure if this is referring to the wiring back in the lh rear and >> if both resistors burned out would the fans run at all? >> >> The compressor is not working (yet) so I can't actually "fire the system >> up" properly and I'm not sure if this is the source of only two speeds >> either. >> >> Can anyone with knowledge of how the system works steer me in the right >> direction? What am I missing? >> >> Many thanks .... >> >> -john >> >>