Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:25:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX stumbles after hot restart; vapor lock?
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

I had genuine, 'for sure' vapor lock on an older car ( 70 gasoline carbed Benz ) and I've been asking around if our 10 % ethanal fuel vapor locks more easily in high temps - but no one knows yet that i've been able to find. So perhaps that's what it is in your case.

a fuel pressure guage on yours temporarily would be nice as a test. The system should retain fuel pressure quite well when shut off - hold 30 psi at least I'd think for a long time, days and days even.......... if the fuel pressure diminishes sitting, or if it's low when it's acting up for that first couple of minues........that would be useful information. Don't know how low you are running the tank, but there is some danger of sucking up old junk in there when getting down to the very bottom of a tank. I've gotten two solid gallons out of them after the gague was on the bottom of the red too, btw. Nice fat margin on the fuel guage. - that's on 2WD, syncro - I've had one run out of gas at the top of the red band on the fuel gauge. .

I just use the pump that's on the van to pump out the last bit of fuel prior to lowering the tank out. Jumper the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment in that black box above the coil. Easy to do. or just grab 12 V from anywhere, even anohter battery sitting on the ground ............a run that straight to the fuel pump positive terminal, if you use another battery, need to connect ground too of course.

nice to inspect the internal contents of your fuel filter too, to see how much junk is in there. I find rust particles, water, dirt, and tiny pieces of shiny metal in them - which I assume is from the fuel pump. scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 10:41 AM Subject: 2.1 WBX stumbles after hot restart; vapor lock?