Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:13:18 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for Vanagon Rental
Comments: To: Karl Ploessl <karl.ploessl@GMAIL.COM>

My sister was renting Westies until the end of last summer with East Coast Camper Rentals. However she decided to close down this business and sell off the campers. It was not for them. If you could do all of the maintenance yourself you might make a go of it, however if you have a couple of customers that abuse your vans and tear them up it really kills the profit from the business. She had about three of these customers in row last summer so she decided to get out. I think most of the other Vanagon rental places are gone as well. The best thing to do would be to buy a good used Vanagon from someone reputable, drive it around the country for the summer, and then have someone sell it for you after you go back to where ever. Or just rent a mega RV from one of the big RV rental places (simpler but you aren't getting a Vanagon).

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Karl Ploessl wrote: > didn't Ken from http://www.vanagain.com/ have a connection for rental > Vanagons at the East Coast? > > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > >> well...............'IF" I could find the time to wrap up , totally wrap up, >> every last thing I want dialed in on a Westy of mine, I would rent it >> ...........however, I'm way out on the Westy coast, ( relative to the East >> Coast that is..........I consider the West 'where it's at' of course ! ) >> ..............so not convenient from Swiss folks..........but I'd rent one >> to the right people.........that is IF I had one I felt really good about >> as >> far as reliabllity goes. >> scott >> www.turbovans.com >> btw, I have two frineds who rent Westy's in Hawaii. One on the Big Island, >> one of Oahu - that's the more populated island with Honolulu, of course. >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@COMCAST.NET> >> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 10:41 PM >> Subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon Rental >> >> >> Markus, >> >>> Sorry, but you won't find any Vanagons to rent anymore. I'm surprised you >>> found one in 2001. And, with the safety of children in cars regulated by >>> the government, you will need an approved child safety seat for your 2 >>> month >>> old. This is not a bad thing, but you'll have to buy or rent one here for >>> your trip. They are not cheap, but they guarantee that your child WILL >>> survive almost any accident, but will probably be an orphan if it's a bad >>> one. >>> >>> Unfortunately, we are still into the mega size RVs here, so check out >>> places >>> like >>> http://www.cruiseamerica.com or Google around for some other places to >>> rent >>> an American RV. It's just the way it is right now. >>> >>> We Vanagon and Eurovan camper folks are a sub-culture here, and I can only >>> hope that things change now that gas is expensive. >>> >>> Have fun on your adventure, and if you make it to Seattle, look me up! >>> >>> Stuart MacMillan >>> >>> '97 EVC, and before that a '68 Westy and an '84 Westy >>> >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf >>> Of >>> Markus Leutwyler >>> Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:07 AM >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> Subject: Looking for Vanagon Rental >>> >>> back in 2001, i explored the US for 3 months with an 82 Vanagon. This >>> year i would like to travel like this again for 1-2 months together with >>> my family (wife and 2 months old). Arriving in New York around August 20 >>> and leaving October 13. Any pointers/tips for a vanagon rental? >>> >>> Greetings from Switzerland >>> >>> Markus >>> >>> > > > -- > Karl > 1981 VW Westy "Jenny" > 2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 > Wilmington, DE > >