Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:24:46 -0400
From:         Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Took the Vitrifrigo plunge: new fridge on the way

As much as I'd like to get my Dometic running and be able to run for several days at a time on propane, I'm not sure I want to go through hours and hours of diagnosis and cleaning up of the Dometic. (I tried a few times in five years to run it on propane, but never took it apart.) So, as much as I didn't like parting with $610 including shipping, my Vitrifrigo is on its way. I'm looking forward to getting it installed and using it on my long weekend to Buses of the Corn next month in Ontario. It will be so nice not to have to bring my Igloo 5-day cooler. As good as it is, I always hated the idea of having an extra cooler taking up space inside, while I used the fridge for dry storage. Now I just have to find a place for all the cereal and other food that I used to keep in the Dometic when I used it as a cabinet. Cleaning out the cabinet over the water tank from excess camping supplies should do the trick. I'm going to take the whole Dometic out with the door and the surround, as I'd like to be able to put it back in original condition should I ever sell it to someone who wants it that way. So I guess I'll have to fabricate a bit more of a cabinet surround, but it shouldn't be too dificult. I've checked out Karl Mullendore's installation suggestions. Someone else had mentioned that they had to use a 90 degree elbow on one of the water hoses (can't remember if it was city water inlet or storage tank hose) in order to install the new fridge, but I don't see that mentioned on Karl's site. Likewise, Karl mentions moving the 110-volt outlet, which this other person didn't say he had to do; nevertheless, I'll soon find out exactly what my installation requires. Now I just have to hope that the results of my compression and leakdown test tomorrow don't tell me that the '85 Westfalia is on its last legs! Ed Duntz in CT _________________________________________________________________ Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger2_072008