Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:10:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX stumbles after hot restart; vapor lock?
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

hi, yes, almost all fuel injection systems have the fuel traveling in a loop , to the engine and back to the tank, and the engine takes off what it needs. This keeps the fuel from absorbing a lot of heat while it's near the engine, and returning it to the tank has somewhat of a cooling affect, or temp-stabilizing affect. it also operates in the 30 to 34 or psi range, so that helps prevent vapor lock. When the engine is off of course, the fuel sitting in the fuel lines on the engine can pick up heat, if things are hot, as there's no circulation then.

I saw the guy's post suggesting that perhaps water has gotten in the fuel by condensation and low fuel level. That's possible, especially in high humitdy areas, though not likely, but it is on the list of things that must be considered.

People, even shops, seldom ever consider the fuel itself. And water in the fuel falls udner that. I sort of have this rule to always empty out the fuel filter backwards and see what's in there. Comparable to always checking the fuses first for *any* electrical problem.

I use 'substitue and bypass' a lot for a diagnostic strategy. If I think the fuel tank itself is a factor - restricted pick up say ......... I just rig up anohter aux. fuel tank quickly. I keep a marine tank and hoses around just for that. That allows me to test with a differnt fuel source, and different fuel than what's in the tank. I recongize it's not that easy from most home technicians to rig up though. as for 'something to go on' ............that's why I suggested rigging up a fuel pressure guage temporily. I had a vanagon last winter that would just do into 'will only go 10 mph' mode, and only sometimes. . We rigged a fuel press. guage - sure enough , when it acted up, fuel pressure was low. So that gave us the info it was fuel supply and fuel pressure related, and not the electronic fuel injection or ignition systems.

and the fuel filter, even if it's been on there only say two weeks..........it's still a valuable diagnostic thing - to see what's in there. There is a tendency to think 'it can't be that, that's new' ............. I go the other way - "something's been worked on ? - that's where I look first ! " it would be nice if you found water droplets in the fuel from the filter - that would offer a good explanation for the symptom you're having. we always love it when we find an 'ah ha, this is IT !" ......so nice when that happens. Diesel fuel filters are designed so water will collect in the bottom of them - there's even a drain on the bottom of them, and they are mounted vertically. not so in gasoline. Water and gasoline don't mix very well. One way to treat gasoline that you know or think has water in it is to add a water-absorbing fuel filter , which is alcohol............'isopropl' I want to say. Alcohol mixes with water in ANY ratio...........and quite well...........and the idea there is that it picks up the water in the fuel and keeps it mixed in the gas so it can get burnt in the combustion process.

I'm not convinced at all that this is a fuel problem.........I think it started with you asking if it could be vapor lock.......and water condensed in the fuel has been suggested - I woudl say 'those fit the symptom'.........but that is not a diagnosis, just something to consider and test for, for sure.

it's a nasty struggle, but it's possible to repair or replace that vent line with the tank in place. very early ones - the larger line across the tank, are metal too. Metal gives way to plastic as cars evolve. I'm sure they are working on the plastic engine. They already have plastic vavle covers and intake manifolds. let's us know what you find. about aux tank for testing....... well, I was gonna tell ya how to rig up a gas can to run the engine off of ..........but it's messy, and the pump sort of needs to have a prime...........and fuel hose sizes are odd at the input to the pump ...........but that would be a intersting test- to see if it does it off a completley indepedent fuel source. I find that sort of 'substitute and bypass' startegy to be VERY effective in nailing down what is always............ really.............."just a blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons."

( and I don't think all people relize that 'fluids' also mean air, exhaust, vaccuum etc. , not just liquids. ) scott turbovans eager to hear your good progress.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@cs.indiana.edu> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 5:13 PM Subject: Re: 2.1 WBX stumbles after hot restart; vapor lock?