Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:41:34 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>

thanks for the good shring Thomas. I suspect you know by now...... but this paragraph : Tried using the 12v setting with no measurable cooling effect but > I didn't leave it on over night. Didn't want to run the batteries > down if it worked."

This is only true as you wrote if you have two batteries, a main, and an Aux ....which the fridge will run off. Not all Westy's have two batteries btw. If you only have one battery - the fridge can't get 12 V with the stock setup unless the engine is running and alternator is charging, or you tricked the relay under the seat, ( or you have a two battery system )

running it out of the on the floor van is fine. However...........I beleive it has to have 12 V connected to it also, not just the 110. Like the two fuses......they need to have 12 V power on them, to run on 110 AC.

the metal part at the top inside the fridge, where ice cube trays will go, that'll start getting cool or cold to the touch pretty soon. Like by 30 minutes, that should be noticeable cool or cold to finger touch. if it's not, it ain't workin'. I find it takes even 5 hours to get the air temp inside down to 40 or so. Thnk i've seen 39 degrees after 8 hours. I measure air temp at the bottom or right in the middle of the interior space with a digital thermeter. A beer works well too.

I've got a fancy expensive RV place right across the road from me. I would be almost afraid to take the Dometic to them for repairs. the old 'Stealership' affect - you pay a lot, but perhaps don't get that much in return. and there are all these great new units to choose from too. the trend is to electric compressor fridges instead of propane. Augmented by solar panels for days at a time camping. They get cold a lot faster too.

And....................there is a certain funky charm to the idiosyncrasies of the Dometic propane unit. .....................an Innocence and Sincerity of something not made in China or with a lot of plastic. No electronic chip[s in there by golly ! No software, no passwords. HOW NICE !! Makes great campfire stories and conversations, and online chat too - 'fighting' our Dometics to get them to behave !

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Diehr" <md03@XOCHI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:36 AM Subject: Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting