Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:51:15 -0700
From:         Thomas Jefferson Kitts <thomas@THOMASKITTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott:

My comments and questions have been imbedded below.

On Jul 15, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > thanks for the good shring Thomas. > I suspect you know by now...... > but this paragraph : > Tried using the 12v setting with no measurable cooling effect but >> I didn't leave it on over night. Didn't want to run the batteries >> down if it worked." > > This is only true as you wrote if you have two batteries, a main, > and an Aux > ....which the fridge will run off. Not all Westy's have two > batteries btw. > If you only have one battery - the fridge can't get 12 V with the > stock > setup unless the engine is running and alternator is charging, or you > tricked the relay under the seat, ( or you have a two battery > system )

Apparently I do have the two-battery set up although I can't say how they are wired just yet. (still learning about that part.)

> running it out of the on the floor van is fine. > However...........I beleive it has to have 12 V connected to it > also, not > just the 110. > Like the two fuses......they need to have 12 V power on them, to run > on 110 > AC.

Are you saying that I can't run the Dometic on the work bench by just plugging it into 110V? That I must also attach a 12v source to the fridge as well? I haven't found anything anywhere which stipulates that fact but then, hey, it is a Dometic . . . Even Dometic's service manual wasn't accurate in describing how to remove the fridge. Had me disconnect the stove propane line unnecessarily and missed pointing out a few fasteners I had to hunt down. (I used to own a British sports car so I'm used to working with a bad instruction set. And weird and kludgy design . . . )

> the metal part at the top inside the fridge, where ice cube trays > will go, > that'll start getting cool or cold to the touch pretty soon. > Like by 30 minutes, that should be noticeable cool or cold to finger > touch. > if it's not, it ain't workin'. > I find it takes even 5 hours to get the air temp inside down to 40 > or so. > Thnk i've seen 39 degrees after 8 hours. I measure air temp at the > bottom > or right in the middle of the interior space with a digital > thermeter. A > beer works well too.

Yup. There weren't no coolin' on the inside, nor heatin' on the backside, so I think it's pretty clear the fridge ain't a workin'. If I measure with a beer or not.

So the question is now why.

I am currently trying to 'burp' the fridge as advised by Neil. I'll plug it in tomorrow to see if something acts differently but my hope isn't up. If the Dometic does start chilling it's going to make for a good story . . .

> I've got a fancy expensive RV place right across the road from me. I > would > be almost afraid to take the Dometic to them for repairs. the old > 'Stealership' affect - you pay a lot, but perhaps don't get that > much in > return. > and there are all these great new units to choose from too. > the trend is to electric compressor fridges instead of propane. > Augmented by solar panels for days at a time camping. They get cold > a lot > faster too.

I would defer to your experience with scurrilous RV dealerships, and yes, I am now entertaining the idea of replacing the Dometic with something else less quirky. I'm not a sucker for pain. However, most of the places my Westy will be traveling to won't be providing much shore power (as in the central highlands of Mexico) so I'm kinda hoping for a non-110v dependent solution. I'm now intrigued by the solar possibilities . . . hmmmmm?

> And....................there is a certain funky charm to the > idiosyncrasies > of the Dometic propane unit. > .....................an Innocence and Sincerity of something not > made in > China or with a lot of plastic. No electronic chip[s in there by > golly ! No > software, no passwords. HOW NICE !! > Makes great campfire stories and conversations, and online chat too - > 'fighting' our Dometics to get them to behave !

Yes, well, you can have all my funk and charm, if you want. I'll sell it to you on the cheap. And I agree it's true there's something charming to the Westy bolt-on, bolt-off aesthetic. But I'm hoping for something that'll keep my beer cold at night and the wife's milk cold in the morning. She's always off to a happier start when she finds te' con leche en la manyana, si?

Because as we all should remember: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Right?

regards,

Thomas