Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:58:51 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Boring report on things Dometic and RUST! --- ;^)

Hi all.

Well I'm sitting here with my 3rd, nay 4th Becks and felt like writing. Or beATCHhing. Depending on how you look at it! --- :^)

Aside from my engine conversion work, I had the need to have a Dometic that would be easier to relight once the thermostat was turned down. (flame would go out after turning it down at night) FWIW, part of the relighting problem may have been due to the **slight** leak I found on the combustion box. (plug one hole. Blow on the other to check) Plus I suspect that the thermocouple in the combustion chamber was faulty too. Anyhow.....

As part of the Dometic improvements, I unhooked and removed the city water hook up (I'll be installing a fan a la Mark Drillock or Karl Mullendore's mod ..... sorry can't recall who it was right now..... but it sure looks like a GREAT idea). As I was removing the Yellow Fetid Factory Fiberglass Insulation, I fished around behind the cabinet at floor level, swatted aside a bunch of rust, and......

PUT MY FINGER RIGHT THROUGH THE G-DAMN SHEET METAL. Sorry for the caps. ACK!

At least I have a MIG welder. Ha ha ha ha ha! "Warp warp warp" (tongue in cheek --- ;^)

Anyhow. Back to Dometic Land.

Managed to swap the front plastic panel from my 182A to my recently tested "Spare Works and ReLights on LP Way Better" 182B. (182A panel had switch/wiring I installed. Was easier to swap it all this way) FWIW, the gas valve is a different design (182A - longer shaft "one piece" to valve. 182B - shorter, two pieces) and requires ( so far as I can see right now) that a larger washer of some type be glued/spitballed/welded/stapled/pop-riveted/duct taped or simply placed, against the back of the plastic panel of the 182A. The hole is smaller on the 182B and a circlip is involved in keeping it all together........ if that makes sense. The 182A, you just push the knob on to the one piece longer shaft. The 182A panel will fit, but it requires that you remove two screws that are "in the way" from allowing it to seat flush to the box. Then, after installing the two middle screws, redrill for the outside screws. Also, as has been noted I'm sure, the 182A flame indicator meter appears to work just peachy with the 182B. It requires you drill two more holes for this amazing option.

I hope to have all this installed tomorrow. The rust? Well, no POR on hand to slow it down (really. How does one slow down a hole??? --- ;^) so I'll tackle that shite another day.

The really great news, is that my engine conversion is running well. I took it for a run up to Squamish (~ 1/3 - 1/2 the way to Whistler B.C.) and overall it ran great. Even temps, and good power. I'll be taking some much needed travel time soon, so will be assembling some video footage of my conversion adventures soon.

Cheers,

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/