Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:17:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine swap time
Comments: To: Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

I would have to say 'that depends.' some people just swap stuff over. Some other people have to treat each corroded spot..........or whatever.........restore as they go, so to speak. Just the exhasut pipes on a typical waterboxer.............I spend a couple hours at least cleaning those up and at painting them with hi temp exahsut paint, cat and muffler too. so taking that as an example............are you figuring the guy is going to just swap over the semi or very rusty pipes, put on new ones, restore the old ones or what ? How about exhust bolts that just break off despite very careful work to get them out cleanly ? it goes on and on like that. Personally.............I can't stand to change an engine, if ...........say the clutch hydrualic fluid is really old........ I can't stand putting in a new fresh engine without at least bleeding new fresh brake fluid into the clutch hydrualics...... or checking the transmission oil at least....... if one is really trying to 'preserve and heal' a vanagon .........projects just grow. Personally I have to address the related areas to the engine swap out job - that could mean cleaning corroded battery cables even...... everything that's related to the engine job ........ to do really thorough good work like that - takes a while sometimes. I just find so many things needing detail attention........whether that's treat corrosion, tighten loose stuff, replace rounded off fasteners........or whatever. For every last little part of the entire engine swap over job to be really right - it can take quite a while. Heck, just straigtening out previously sloppy or wrong work - that sure adds to the swap over time sometimes. - lol. Then there's dialing it really right. If it was running perfectly to start with, and the new engine also runs perfectly, fine. But sometimes there are things to do like say.........checking the throttle switch adjustment ........or checking the oxygen sensor has a good signal ..........etc. etc. IF you want it done really right. And these vans are 20+ years old............I find hundreds of spots on them that have never been lubed once in the entire 20 years. addressing those details takes time. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Duntz" <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:36 PM Subject: Engine swap time

What would be the average time for a mechanic to charge if someone were to drive in their 1.9 with a spare 1.9 and say, "Take out my engine and put this one in"?

Time if all accessoreis are on new engine (water pump, alternator, exhaust, starter, etc)?

Time if all accessoreis have to be swapped over?

I'm just trying to plan for the eventual demise of my 1.9 which is getting old and tired. I have also decided for financial and other reasons that I would rebuild or replace the 1.9, and not to any other conversions.

Thanks, Ed Duntz in CT _________________________________________________________________ Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_072008=