Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:13:31 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: high idle when hot
Comments: cc: jlbaldwin52@gmail.com

In a message dated 21/07/2008 11:53:38 A.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

I just got back from a quick trip to Cleveland from Peterborough ON . The van ran great (87 Westy 2.1 Watterboxer) except when we got caught in a traffic jam. It was about 80 degrees out and the temp gauge went up to just above the indicator light. when this happened the idle went up to 2200 - 3000 . When we got going aging and the temp went down the Idle returned to normal. I could hear the ran fan working. Ideas on what I should check ?

Jerry, I don't think the overheating and high idle are related. The overheating situation you speak of is the NORMAL operation of the cooling system of the 2.1 waterboxer in your Westy. The waterpump is not able to move enough coolant at idle to keep it cooled off so the first stage fan comes on then should go off when the temperature of the coolant drops. This scenario can go on until you either raise the RPM or start moving forward to get fresh air to pass through the rad. The idle kicking up at the same time as the temperature went up is a coincidence. The idle is controlled by the idle control mechanisms which are the throttle position switch, the ICV (Idle Control Valve - on top of the plenum), ICU (Idle Control Unit - behind the RH tail light), the power steering pressure switch, and A/C power switch (if you have A/C). The first place I would go looking is at the throttle position switch. It frequently goes out of adjustment due to a plastic cam that wears out rubbing on a metal switch arm. The condition of the throttle body is also suspect as the butterfly may have worn a groove into the throat of the throttle body (very common). I can rebuild these throttle bodys and currently have one ready to go, from my _Vanagon Items Forsale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/sales.htm) "Used Parts" webpage: Throttle body 1.9 or 2.1, rebuilt, excellent better that new condition - 250.00 exchange or 300.00. The ICV and ICU are a bit more challenging to test. I swap in known good ones to test. I just had a van here the other day that had a constant high idle and the problem was the ICV was bad and swapping in a known good one cured the problem immediately. Yours may be on the verge of being totally defective. You can try removing it and cleaning the insides with lacquer thinner. The ICU is a all electronic computer control, no test I know about. Check the part number and see if it ends B or D. B is the old one that goes bad often, D is the newer version and I've yet to see one of them go bad. I'm here all day today if you need more help.

Time to start getting your Westy in order for Bacalar !

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008