Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:09:48 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Overhaulin' VW Van Episode Repeat
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>

I recorded it last night except for the first couple of minutes. It was pretty good except there are so few 21 window buses out there and this was an original bus. Yes it was a little rough but it was original. Now it looks sweet as is but they have modified it to the point where it has lost value. It was an original, stock bus that could have been restored. The guy that was doing the work thought he would change it into a "23" window. Except instead of adding the rear corner windows to make it a 23 window, he added two more skylights in the roof. He also moved the front turns down low. It looked cool when it was done and I like to watch guys work with the metal and do the body work, but I just wished they could have let the guy who owned the van have some input into how the van was fixed up. It seems kind of ridiculous to me to make a really big deal about how they want to do something nice for a person, spend a ton of time and money, and not give the person any input whatsoever in the process. They want to have this really exciting "reveal" moment where the person sees the thing for the first time, but I would rather have it the way I want it than the vision of this TV show guy who isn't even a VW enthusiast, has no emotional or financial investment in the vehicle whatsoever. The poor guy has to at least pretend that he likes it. He is on TV with everyone watching, he is a nice person anyway, what is he supposed to do? Freak out and curse them out for screwing up his bus? Come on. But after the show is over he has to live with it. It would be nice if they asked him, "Hey do you want it bone stock or can we modify it?" If they at least did that then the guy probably would be fine with letting them do whatever they thought would be cool. As it is he is stuck with it whether he likes it or not.

They did all that work and I was shocked that they didn't put A/C in. I did this on the 66 Bus we restored last year and it worked great!

If anyone wants the video, just tell me how to shrink it down and post it somewhere and I will.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Richard Golen wrote: > For those of you missed it, the Overhaulin' VW van (65 splittie) "makeover" episode is being repeated tonight on TLC at 8pm (est). The episode is infinitely ok as they did not do much of the usual "Detroit Iron" mods. Perhaps that was a good thing for the van. On a positive note, the listing for the program on TLC and on my on-line tv listing has corrected "Volkswagon" to "Volkswagen". > > > _________________________________________________________________ > With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. > http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_mobile_072008 >