Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:59:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: The '85 needs a diaper
Comments: To: ckelmo1@COMCAST.NET

those auto trans pans - it can be tricky to get the rubber gasket seated fully in the groove in the transmission body. Those gaskets aren't weak at all, but getting them seated properly is tricky sometimes.

on any pan that is sheet metal........where the screws go, check that the pan is not warped there........sometimes you have to flatten those spots out with a hammer on a flat surface.......the trans pan is pretty hefty though, so not likely. Governor cover leaks easily too. - easy fix. Royal Purple ATF - spendy but makes the van go 15 % better at least compared to regular ATF.

if you're talking about valve cover gasket- they're cork. they get hard. Very normal to need to do those once in a while. for a valve cover that you just can not get to not leak, consider that the valve cover could be warped or out of plane.......but that's rare.

PS......the hoses arn't the weak spot. I've never seen a high pressure hose leak - at the rear of the van anyway. the other hose is a low pressure one ..........you can just buy generic high temp oil hose for that - like you'd use for transmission oil cooler lines. I do hear of the pipes rusting and leaking though. there's filter screen in the bottom of the PS resevoir.......everybody knows that ! and ......Vanagon PS doesn't last 'just indefenitely'..........say like it does on an 88 Honda Accord............ Vanagon PS blows out eventually - the PS rack. Best you can do for maintaence is change the fluid out, check for metal particles in that screen in the res, add a PS fluid treatment and stop leak, and drive 'er nice. scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cecil Eastman" <ckelmo1@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 8:52 AM Subject: The '85 needs a diaper