Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:29:18 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Potential bad Brake Master Cylinder?

So i just put on a brand new FTE brand brake master cylinder, 'bench bled' it, opened up all my bleeders untill i had a good flow of fluid coming through, and then i started my engine to see what would happen..... And SMOKE! I had a nice cloud of smoke coming out of my engine and thought "Wait, the only thing i've done since parking this a few days ago was work on the brakes...." Well one thing led to another and i pulled the vaccuum line that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold, plugged the hole in the intake manifold (Mercedes Benz Wheel Lugs work perfect for this!), and started the engine. I ran it untill it no longer smoked then shut it down. I plugged the brake booster line back in, and started it back up. Surely enough, after a bit, SMOKE. So i'm burning brake fluid. I assume this to be REALLY bad for my engine, but can't be sure that if it was just some spilled fluid in the line, that it hasn't been fully burnt yet. I haven't ran it long enough to see if it effects fluid level, but it smokes alot. I haven't really checked the pedal yet to see if that feels bad, i just assumed it needs a good proper bleeding...... But that's no good if the master's a dud.

What do you guys think?

-Craig '85GL