Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:21:56 -0400
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ongoing saga: Dometic and Multimeter . . .

> >> Yep. The heater is burned out. > >Okay. So any ideas one where to get a new one? Seems like installing a >used one is only asking for trouble. And might as well replace the 12v >heater as well while the Dometic is out. > >TIA, > >Thomas

Thomas, The following information is out of date and probably worth what you are paying for it. I last spoke with Dometic in September 2006, to determine the availability of various parts for the RM182B-EGI(electronic gas ignition as used on the '90 & '91 vans). The Dometic call center was experiencing a slow day, such that the representative had some time on her hands. She e-mailed me the parts diagram and accompanying parts list, which I printed out, and she then, if you can believe this, went through every single part number, indicating whether the part was either NLA, possibly available (couldn't say until you tried to order it), or Dometic was in the process of seeking a source for a replacement part.

The two different 12v heating elements, bearing either Part Number 2929491070, or 9299375042 (both parts being 12 volt, 7.1 amp, 85 watt heating elements), were to be replaced with the latter #9299375042, for which Dometic was seeking a source. Since I was not then, and am not now looking for that part, I never followed up to determine if Dometic did indeed procure a replacement source. You can follow up if you care to. Dometic: 800-544-4881.

As others have pointed out, ammonia cycle refrigeration suffers some inherent limitations; be sure to understand those limitations before spending your money to repair your Dometic fridge (if it's even possible). However, should you consider a compressor fridge as a replacement, be aware of the power requirement and know how that requirement will be met; there's a lot more to it than simply replacing the fridge.

Bill