Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:24:37 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW's New Chattanooga Plant/Honda Element
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

<When I bought the car I thought it was Honda's 'microbus' because it was very utilitarian and somewhat inexpensive but as a family car it really falls short>

To each his own, but I have to disagree. I've owned mine since new, 2004, and have found it to be a great car. Yeah, the novelty of the doors wears off after a while and can be a PITA, but other than that it is a very practical car. We have loaded it up (me, wife, daughter & family dog) and have taken it on many vacations from Virginia to Florida and it has always performed flawlessly. My wife hates to drive it, except when there is even a hint of snow, then she asks me if she can drive it to work. I get so tired of some of the BS I've heard about the Element, "Why would you buy a plastic car?". Most body panels on cars now are plastic/composite! I've even seen it posted on one VW list that the Element is marketed to homosexual men <sigh>, such childish BS. Now, for some VW content. This weekend I bought my daughter a 1998 New Beetle. Too good a deal to pass up, 94K, in very good condition overall, for $1,000.00. Got a folder of receipts from the seller, first thing I started searc hing for was one that said "replace timing belt". There isn't one. Pulled off the timing belt cover, and it "looks OK", but I still plan to replace it ASAP. Found the procedure for timing belt replacement-Holy Crap!!! I'd rather R&R my waterboxer in the Westy!!! Judging from the ton of receipts ( and $$$) I got on this car, I may be in for a fun time! Jeff