Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:10:40 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <vanagon_dad@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stubborn Exhaust leak

Being a stubborn Scotsman, and very good with a wrench, I have never let anybody else touch my Beastie. My costs have all been for materials / parts. The last complete system I installed was only the three head-pipes, and an after-market muffler I welded suitable mating flanges to. That cost was $475 US. I have heard of folks walking out of muffler/mechanic shops with bills of more than $1200 US for a new system on their van. And that is not the "high-end" of the parts or the costs!

Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM> wrote: Thanks for all the help -- after doing the RTV sandwich trick, it was better but I can still hear and feel leaking, and I think it's in more than one location. Looking more closely reveals that pretty much all the exhaust gaskets everywhere are not much more than rust held together by bolt pressure.

I notice that bus depot has a $379 special for a complete stock exhaust system. I'm very temped to order that and stop messing around with patches & fixes.

Any thoughts on the quality of the BD system? Is the cat in that OK (I remember a prior thread where folks said that most aftermarket cats are not high quality).

If I just take it to my mechanic and say "fix it" any idea what the retail cost of a new exhaust system would be?