Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:18:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Different Kind Of Valve Adjustment Question? NOW What's next?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

one thing about any 'two door' thermostat , which is all modern thermostats mostly .............. when it has the main passage closed off, it has a 'bypass' circuti open. when the main circuit is open. as in when things are up to temp ..........it closes off the bypass circuit.

with no t-stat at all, both circuits are open, and the bypass circuit doesn't go through the radiator or heater cores.... so there's no cooling in that cirucit, so only a portion of the coolnat heated by the engine gets to any heat exchanger for cooling. i.e. 'it can't work.' you gotta have a t-stat. or somehow block off the bypass portion of the circuit to run without one.

I'd watch the rockers to see if they all have the same amont of linear travel at the pushrods - looking for worn lobes for the cylinder in question. I 'don't beleive in' worn cam lobes in waterboxer engines since the cam gets lots of oil on it down there below the crank......... and btw, how many miles on this engine ? I'm starting to count waterboxer engines with over 200K on them as 'pretty tired' ........ like if you can do rod bearings on them, keep proper oil clearance there............then maybe it can still be OK with new rings, or new pistons and barrels and a real valve job and new head gaskets. And i've seen worn out rocker screws. was there much oil in the valve cover, or was it dirty and crusty and dry in there ? I'm starting to treat a lot of oil with Marvel Mystery oil ...... i've had a few very clanky waterboxer engines respond very nicely to a fresh oil and filter change with Cheron Delo 15W40 plus a cleaner additive in the oil, Rislone, or as I'm not doing, Marvel Mystery oil. Bought a gallon of it.

I also did a top end job on a 90 Vanagon, and it had some rough valve adjustment screws ...........looking through all my other engines and rocker arm screws, I found none as big as the ones in this '90 engine...........just mentioning that in case someone changed your rocker amrs to a different type or whatever.

do you have the stock 2.1 electronic idle control valve and control unit behind the right rear tail light ? I'd consider those. Vangons use a 3 wire oxygen sensor, two are just for heat, and are not even really really needed for the 02 to work. Would have minimal affect on idle, if at all. you can always try it with the 02 disconnected too. but you can't run with no thermostat, unless you block off the bypass cirucit somehow. scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Wellhouse" <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:07 PM Subject: Re: Different Kind Of Valve Adjustment Question? NOW What's next?